Sunday, April 20, 2008

A Cure for Bedside Boredom?

This little gadget (well, let's not undermine the thing as it probably costs the hospital an arm and a leg) may be the solution to making a hospital stay a pleasurable experience.



Let's talk about the features that Lincor, the developer, has installed into the MEDIVista. Basically, it is a touchscreen LCD display that provides entertainment, information and education services to the patient. It allows patient care to be an interactive and involved experience for the patient as the doctor can use the display to show x-ray films or other relevant medical information that the patient should be knowledgeable about.

The "cool" features allow bored patients to watch IPTV, listen to radio or audio books, manage their diet, take interactive surveys, make VoIP calls, browse the internet (do not fret, the system logs all activities), check e-mail, as well as play web and network based games.

Just think about the impact it will have on the hospital. As patients keep themselves entertained, they will be less likely to preoccupy themselves with the pain and ailing. Which then leads to freeing up nurses to do more charting! And we know that would make medical records personnel happy too. Even the patient's employer will be happy to know that the employee has access to e-mail during the hospital stay and will not lose productivity! (Stress level of patient just went up).

3 comments:

WICK said...

The american way - even when you are in the hospital, you have to answer your emails.

You said that this entertains the patients... how? Can you see movie studios selling films to patients in the future? Would your insurance company for the movie if it was part of your R&R?

I think studios could make a little 'scratch' if they throw some film titles on their and allow the patient to throw in on their bill to pay for later.

(I know I'm willing to pay for anything that makes me feel better when I am sick - ex. $10 orange juice because it tastes better versus the $3 jug)

Anonymous said...

I think that device will work best for hospital / patient communication purposes Miss Sally. I am not sure it would work well for the Internet and entertainment use, especially when I would have to pay for access. I would rather use my Blackberry cell phone / pda (which I already pay for) and maybe a laptop if I were stuck in a hospital.

I look forward to seeing one when I am unfortunate enough to have my first hospital / patient experience.

Unknown said...

Great post about MEDIVista, I found it very interesting. It really seems like an interesting device that a lot of patients(especially children) might use. Speaking of children, I found an interesting artlce that covers an obstetrical information system that you might find interesting.

Obstetrical Info Sys